Food to Promote Milk Supply
- Lean Protein: Free-range chicken, grass-fed beef & bison, wild caught fish, eggs, miso soup, tofu, edamame, black & red beans, lentils & split peas, all beans & pea protein powder.
- Complex Carbs: whole grains, oatmeal (certified GF & non-GMO) legumes (canned or dry), all beans, (canned or dried).
- Healthy Fats: avocado, olives, coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, almond butter, unsalted, raw nuts & seeds; brazil, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds chia and flax seeds, almond, cashew, hazelnut or sunflower butter, & tahini (in hummus).
- Fresh Fruits & Vegetables: Kiwi, star fruit, blueberries, blackberries, apples, cherries, pomegranate, banana, dates, figs, pear, cranberries cucumber, artichoke, sweet potato, radish, turnip, beets, parsnip, kohlrabi, celery, fennel, squash, *Brussels sprouts, *cabbage, watercress, *broccoli, green beans, peas, spinach, beet greens, kale & arugula.
- Star Fruit: The star fruit is given to nursing mothers, as it is commonly believed to stimulate the flow of milk.
- Carrot Juice has a balancing effect on mother’s energy. Carrot juice can cause blood sugar to surge so combine ½ carrot juice to ½ coconut or almond milk to balance blood sugar.
- Beer: It’s true that a polysaccharide in the barley used to make beer seems to stimulate prolactin, which helps moms make more milk. (The good news, if you like the taste of beer, is that nonalcoholic beer has the same stimulating effect.
FOOD THAT CAN INTERRUPT MILK SUPPLY
- Cruciferous Vegetables contain sulfur and can make breast milk less tasty for some babies and/or difficult to digest. *Cabbage, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Onion & Garlic Are Cruciferous. Kale, Mustard & Collard Greens. Note: Some babies are more sensitive than others.
- Taken in large quantities, the following can slow milk production: Rosemary, Thyme, Peppermint, Spearmint (In Food & Candy Too), Lemon Balm, Fennel Seed, Verbena Leaf, Sage & Parsley.
- Carbonated Beverages, Caffeinated Drinks Including Tea. Note: The potassium in soft drinks interferes with calcium metabolism.
FOODS TO AVOID IF YOUR BABY HAS ECZEMA, COLIC OR REFLUX
Rye, Wheat, Spelt, Bulgur, Kamut, Couscous, Farro, Durum & Semolina, Triticale, Barley, * Oats & **Corn. Note: * ** Oats & Corn only if certified gluten-free on the package, otherwise eliminate.
All Dairy Including:
Ice Cream, Milk, *Raw Milk Products, Yogurt, Cheese, Cream Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Cream, Half N Half, & Butter. Note: * some people can tolerate raw milk and cheese as well as goats’ milk products.
Oranges, Grapefruits, Tangerines, Clementine and sometimes Tomatoes. Citrus tends to contribute to reflux.
Enjoy Gluten Free (GF) Grains
- Amaranth – Nutty Flavor Contains Protein, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium & Folate.
- Buckwheat-Builds Blood, Increases Circulation And If Rich In Vitamin E. Note: check the package some contains wheat.
- Corn – Low In Protein (Requires Beans For A Complete Protein). It’s Cooling, Moisturizing To The Heart And Circulatory System And Good For The Teeth & Gums. Note: Use Non-GMO Corn
- Quinoa – Quinoa Is A Complete Protein And Is Rich In Calcium, Vitamin E, Folate, Manganese, Fiber And Bone Building Phosphorus & Copper. It Can Also Be Used As A Hot Cereal, Serve Like Oatmeal.
- Millet – Is Beneficial To Stomach & Spleen.
- Brown Rice – High In B Vitamins, Beneficial To Dry Or Irritated Lungs. Note: White Rice is gluten free but is missing all of the benefits of Brown Rice.
- Wild Rice – Wild Rice Is Slightly Higher In Protein Than Most Other Whole Grains, And Is A Good Source Of Fiber, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Manganese, Zinc, Vitamin B6, And Niacin.
Enjoy Dairy Free (DF) Products
Eggs, Coconut, Almond Or Goat Milk Yogurt. Coconut, Almond, Rice, Hemp Or Flax Seed Milk. Coconut, Goat, Rice Or Almond Ice Cream. *Kifer, *Kifer is 99% lactose free and a natural probiotic. Some people can tolerate this.
Calcium Rich Foods
When eliminated dairy, it’s important to increase calcium rich foods in your diet.
Sardines, Canned Salmon, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Tofu, Basil (2tsp), Cooked, Collard Or Mustard Greens, Kale, Scallops, Non Dairy Milk & Non-Dairy Yogurt.